What is happening in our world? Who is doing what? what is going on now? These are questions that will be answered. Enjoy.
Justin Timberlake, Chris Stapleton Say Something Video
Here at Man of the Woods Watch, we’ve been looking for the precise moment in which Justin Timberlake fully evokes his self-proclaimed title of Man of the Woods. While thus far he’s only been a very confusing science-fiction, future-sex Justin Timberlake, he gets much closer to embracing that aesthetic in the new video for “Say Something.”
So what is Man of the Woods-y about this new video? Let’s break it down:
• Chris Stapleton. He has a beard, a cowboy hat, and plays country music. He’s also probably been outside—at least more often than Timberlake has.
• Acoustic guitars. They don’t require electricity—perfect for playing around a campfire!
• Flannel. Justin Timberlake is wearing a flannel shirt, a material chosen among outdoor workers “who savored the material’s warmth and rugged look.”
• A beanie. Timberlake is wearing a hat, which is often used to keep the head warm in harsh elements.
So what’s not so Man of the Woods-y?
• They’re not once outside in this video. It takes place in a large, beautiful building where they might have filmed the last scene of Blade Runner.
• Electronics. Unfortunately, the video opens with Timberlake playing on a computer and a loop pad, both of which run on electricity and would not function in the woods.
• Justin Timberlake. I’m still convinced he’s never been more than two miles away from an internet connection.
Anyway, I will say the video is really cool, filmed by Arturo Perez Jr of La Blogotheque in one beautiful, continuous shot. What’s also pretty fascinating is that Justin Timberlake has written a song called “Say Something,” which is about not saying anything and manages to say nothing at all.