YouTube unveiled its ranking of the most viewed videos of 2013 yesterday, but it looks like their list may already be outdated.
For the second year in a row, South Korean pop phenom Psy has walked away with the most viewed video of the year. Last year he racked up more than 1 billion views with his viral video sensation “Gangnam Style,” and this year the music video for his follow-up single “Gentleman” has racked up 600 million views, putting it firmly in the top spot for this year. Miley Cyrus‘ “Scorched Earth Viral Marketing Policy™” placed her securely in both second and third place for her songs “Wrecking Ball” and “We Can’t Stop.” The rather… unique… music videos for these songs racked up more than 399 million and 309 million views respectively.
More than 278 million people asked the age-old question “What Does The Fox Say?,” with Ylvis‘ video becoming top trending and most-shared video on YouTube this year. The Norwegian comedians were followed closely by one of the more popular “Harlem Shake” videos. After 1.7 Million ‘Harlem Shake’ videos from all over the world, only one version made it into the top trending list – the “Original Army Edition” by kennethaakonsen.
The full list from YouTube can be found below; however, it may have to be amended with a late addition. Turkish Airlines came out with a new advert featuring basketball player Kobe Bryant and football player Lionel Messi. The first advert featuring the two sports-stars earned more than 100 million views in less than a month and quickly became the most-shared and most-viewed advert on YouTube. The sequel to this advert was released ten days ago (December 3) and has already racked up more than 100 millions views. By my own calculations, that should put the video at #2 on the Top Trending Videos list. However, it’s worth noting they were only able to do this by enlisting the help of (what felt like…) every personality-based YouTube channel – Paying them to mention the advert in their videos. I’ll let you decide whether that counts or not…
Top Trending Videos for 2013:
- Ylvis – “The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)”
- Prospective #2: “Kobe vs. Messi: The Selfie Shootout”
- “Harlem Shake (original army edition)”
- “How Animals Eat Their Food” | MisterEpicMann
- “Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version)”
- “baby&me / the new evian film”
- Volvo Trucks – “The Epic Split feat. Van Damme”
- “YOLO (feat. Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar)”
- “Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise”
- “THE NFL : A Bad Lip Reading”
- “Mozart vs Skrillex. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2”
Top Music Videos for 2013:
- PSY – “GENTLEMAN”
- Miley Cyrus – “Wrecking Ball”
- Miley Cyrus – “We Can’t Stop”
- Katy Perry – “Roar (Official)”
- P!nk – “Just Give Me A Reason ft. Nate Ruess”
- Robin Thicke – “Blurred Lines ft. T.I., Pharrell”
- Rihanna – “Stay ft. Mikky Ekko”
- Naughty Boy – “La La La ft. Sam Smith”
- Selena Gomez – “Come & Get It”
- Avicii – “Wake Me Up (Official Video)”
**Editors Note: The ‘Top Music Videos’ are ranked by view count alone. The ‘Top Trending Videos’ are ranked by view count with an unspecified weighting for comments, social shares, and blog activity affecting the number of videos eligible for inclusion in the ranking.